Wednesday, December 31, 2008

28 by 28: Month 1 in Review

In an attempt to hold myself accountable for my to-do list, I've decided to blog about my progress at the end of each month. Here are a few that are relevant:

1. I didn't graduate yet but I did complete my practicum, putting me one quarter closer to graduation. My G.P.A is still intact. Two quarters to go...

3/4. Oooooh. So I was maintaining my weight loss but not making much progress. I caught a really bad cold the day after my birthday and just made it back to the gym on Monday for the first time since December 3rd. Over my break, I gained a few (3-7) pounds. I have managed to get that under control. I just need to figure out a realistic way to make it to the gym when my schedule gets crazy next week. I've toyed with the idea of putting my weight on here and having a monthly weigh-in. Don't know if I'm ready for that yet.

5. I bought a book and video on meditation thanks to a shopping spree in Borders. I have a vision for a meditation space in my bedroom but I haven't set it up yet.

11. I've looked into several dance classes. However, due to my crazy schedule it won't work out this quarter. I did buy a dance workout video, yet to be opened.

12. I started on this one before the first of the month. I made lasagna and chicken chili. Beyond that I haven't made too much progress. I looked at several cook books, bought a few, and received one as a gift (which deserves a post of it's own).

14. I went to the Chicago Cultural Center yesterday to check out a couple of exhibits - a photo exhibit of Chicago landmarks and a celebration of the centennial for Lane Tech High School. This was kind of a cop-out. I was determined to see a play at the Goodman but was thwarted when I realized that they didn't offer a matinee and the play was 3 hours long not including intermission. It was a bit much for a Sunday night and of course I waited til the last minute. I need to create a calendar for the next season, at least. I might post it. If you're in Chicago, join me.

18. I did not call one friend per week. I don't really think I called anyone unless it was returning a call. I called Kis to make plans for us to get together but I don't know if that counts. I need to do better on this one. I also just randomly don't answer my phone sometimes, even if I'm not doing anything. It annoys me when people interrupt my nothingness. I'll try to do better with this also.

19. I haven't signed up for tennis lessons due to my crazy schedule. I'm also debating whether I really want to do this or if I just decided to do it because someone else liked to play.

20. I have not volunteered for the hotline. I feel bad since I am going to a training, thanks to them, next month. However, most of the shifts would have been off site and if you've tried to call me, you know my phone acts extra crazy. Can't have that while on duty.

23. Does going out for New Year's count?

24. I don't know if I've done this on purpose but I've definitely had a few leave me the hell alone days.

I think that is all that makes sense to comment on right now i.e. I haven't made any progress on the rest of the list. I am a work in progress. Bear with me.

I noticed last night how bad my procrastination really is. I had a mystery shop report to complete that should have taken no more than 2 hours. However, I started it at 9pm last night and finished it at 8:30am this morning. Unacceptable for a few check boxes and a one-page narrative. I have to figure out how to get over this procrastination thing, especially if I plan on getting another degree. I need to put this into a measurable too. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Eeyore said...

I was thinking about your 28 by 28 the other day as I was reflecting on the beginning of the new year and the excitement that comes with an opportunity to renew.

RE: procrastination. That has been a problem for me too.. one thing that has worked for me is putting things I don't want to do before things I do want to do. For Example: I love watching the obesity shows on TLC and soo I might plan to lesson plan for 2 hours before the show begins.. and paln to have a glass of wine so I can enjoy myself. And that seems to work a lot of the times. OR when it comes to dumb stuff like cleaning the house. I set a timer and just work til the timer is done then sit down LOL and I find a lot gets accomplished in a bunch of little spurts.


And i dont answer my phone when I'm actively doing nothing either. Because nothing is something to me!! :-) dont feel bad about that at all.

b.goody said...

Yeah, I agree with Spiderlgs. Also, I think the fact that you even attempted to do some of these things is pretty cool. You could have just sat on them saying, "I have all next year to get started."

You never call people. I think that's something that we just understand. Don't feel bad. Just take it off the list :)

identitycrisis said...

Thanks chicas.

@spiderlgs. Those are some helpful tips for procrastination. I'll try both of them. Time management is going to be key to me surviving the next 6 months AND getting the stuff on the list done.

@b. Thanks for knowing me and accepting that I don't pick up the phone. However, I think that is just another example of silencing myself and fearing rejection. I knew this one was going to be the toughest one when I started so I gotta do it. By December that is...