Tuesday, January 6, 2009

What's a Girl to Do?

I'm resisting the urge to cuss out my bff on the blogosphere as I sit on her couch typing this post. One of my 28 by 28 is to blog at least once every two weeks. This space tends to be my more personal reflection space and The Common Room is where I share random thoughts, but like b., I'm not posting there until the rest of the homies get back from "break". So, I post when I feel the need and have the time to reflect. b., on the other hand, started a trend by posting everyday. I'm just trying to keep her from disappointing her readers. However, I'm willing to step up to her challenge.*

I know I've only been back from a 2-week break for less than two days but I'm emotionally exhausted already. Here are some random thoughts that are weighing on me. As usual, I can't get it together enough to write about one thing...

  • Remember about a month ago when I was debating contacting a couple of folks? Well, I did. And they responded but I still haven't seen them yet. I guess the ball is in my court again but I don't really feel like taking it. I care about them both immensely but y'all know that saying about making someone a priority when you are their option. Clearly, I haven't been a priority for them over the last month and anything I handle right now would have to be a priority... Friendship shouldn't be this hard.
  • I miss The Common Room - both the real world one and the webspace. Ladies, where are y'all. I need some laughs and love. I kinda wish I was using my plane tickets to DC to camp out on someone's couch. I can't wait til April.
  • I'm tired of ignorant ass men - The ones who want to come into my home after knowing me for less than 24 hours, the ones who say shit like "come get me," "drop me off at the train," and "so that's what you on?," and the ones who do shit like this. It makes me wonder, do I have a sign on my head that says I'll go for their bullshit and who are the women who fall for this craziness?
  • Have you ever worked with someone that you thought was less qualified than you? I don't mean without the degree that you have but someone that just doesn't know anything. Well, all I'm saying is 6 months. Pray for my patience and humility.
  • I would love for my phone to ring because someone just wants to talk to me and see how I'm doing. I'm busy. I can't run an errand for you, walk you through setting up your computer, or entertain you in any kind of way. But I can tell you how my day went, I can tell you what makes me happy and what I'm struggling with. I think I've been taking care of myself and everyone else for so long that no one expects me to need anything. Wrong. Somewhere along the road, I must have thought it was my duty to take care of others at the expense of myself. Hell, I've paid thousands of dollars for a license to do just that - listen to and help other people solve their problems and not share mine (with them). I love what I do, but I be damned if I'm gonna keep doing it in my personal life.
So, what's a girl to do when she feels the weight of the world on her shoulders...

I called my bff, grabbed a bottle of wine, and comfy pajamas and went to sit on her couch. and share with you. I'm learning. As Kismet would say, self-care is essential.

BadBlackGirls, we will be chilling with a bottle in a few months but until then, get your butts back to campus and in The Common Room!

1 comment:

T said...

Aw man. Kismet and self-care, don't get me started.

And the fellas that want to be invited up... I can't understand it. I'm like does anyone have manners anymore? I'm gonna go with a strong no, no one has any manners anymore.