Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I May as Well be 15...

So it's pretty clear that I just turned 27 but I might as well be 15 when it comes to dating. I haven't ever really dated. (The other night my girl told me that I am dating my friend, I just don't know it yet. Just because we go out to dinner every other month or so doesn't mean we're dating. Right?) Trust me, I am clueless when it comes to guys and what to do to show my interest. I know all the tips from the books, TV shows, and web articles but when it comes to putting it into action I am extra shy. I'm that girl who looks away immediately when eye contact is made and who can't think of a thing to say in a conversation. Did I mention I never call anybody, even my closest friends? So the new guy definitely doesn't get a call (ever) without a serious pep talk from my girls. So ladies I'm going to need some help getting it together.

Here's an example of one of my most recent mishaps to help you provide better advice.

Last Friday, I ran into a guy who b. swears "wants my body" after not seeing him for a month and a half. (I don't believe her but I think the guy is cool and I like talking to him.) So, we were in the same place. I saw him, but I didn't think he saw me. I continued doing what I was doing, hoping he would come over and talk to me but every time he walked past (from a distance), I was too nervous to look at him. So, I pretended to do something like adjust my ipod or take a sip of water. He disappeared for a while and I finished up what I was doing and prepared to leave. Then, I walked right into him. I said "hi" and he asked how I'd been. As I was taking a drink of water, I spilled water all down my chin. Embarrassed, I responded with my hand over my mouth. He mocked my jumbled and muffled attempt at conversation. So I laughed it off, took out my ear phones and repeated myself. We made brief small talk and I left. So, yes I kind of recovered but I was definitely embarrassed for a second. I even laughed at myself for being giggly like a little school girl and, I admit, it felt good. But what now? What do I do the next time I see him or another guy that piques my interest?

If only it could be this simple again...








1 comment:

b.goody said...

No, but really, he wants your body. I called it last summer.
You and your water are hilarious. Every time you see him, it's something. Fun for me, not so much for you. If you don't start talking to guys more, you'll always be nervous. I have more but I'll just call you...
Oh, and did I mention that he wants your body? Because he definitely does! What are you waiting on!?!?!