Monday, January 26, 2009

Waiting on Your World to Change...


Waiting On The World To Change - John Mayer

Two weeks ago, I attended a 30-hour training related to working with children who have been sexually assaulted or abused. Tough stuff to listen to but crucial in my work. During the last hour, all I could think about was getting into my car in the -25ยบ weather and fumbling with my ipod apparatus to play "Waiting on the World to Change." I can't explain why I wanted to hear that song but listening to it, I thought "our world is about to change but what will really change about this issue?" I could also vividly remember leaving class on the Thursday before election day and saying goodnight to the professor. He said "see you next week" and I said "you know, the world will be a different place the next time I see you." He replied "let's hope so." This past Tuesday, January 20, 2009, the world has, in fact, changed. Not only was President Barack Obama sworn in, he has already made strides on the economy and eliminating the use of torture. While President Obama stated that his administration would be one of change, he also called upon each of us to work towards the change we want to see.

So now that we are no longer waiting on the world to change, what are we waiting for? What am I waiting on to call to schedule a shift at the hotline or to start mentoring or adult literacy tutoring again? Somehow, I feel like I am waiting on my world to change. I tell myself I'm waiting to graduate, to not work 12-hour days, to have more time. The truth is that my life won't get any less busy after I graduate and I have time to do those things now. So, I need to stop waiting on my world to change to change the world.

What are you doing to change the world? If the answer is "nothing," What are you waiting on?

1 comment:

Eeyore said...

deep ish. Change the world? I feel like I teach.. so we shall see in 10 years.

And in the words of Biggie and Diddy..

We can't change the world until we change ourselves.

I'm trying to be more disciplined and focused this year on what I want to do and need to do.