Thursday, January 8, 2009

Making Progress

This week started off pretty stressful, but it's over. I love my 3-day weekends! I'm glad to say that I've made a little more progress on my 28 things. So here's an update and some info in case you're in Chicago and looking to take in a show or a dance class.

  1. I dropped a class that I didn't need to take in order to free up some time and relieve some stress. I now have my Fridays and Saturdays free. I'm thinking of signing up for belly dancing and salsa classes here. If the weather is not horrendous, I'll start tomorrow.
  2. I also found a social event at the same place - they are having a studio party and they even have Salsa Speed dating. I'll keep y'all posted on the party. Don't know about the speed dating. Maybe after I learn a few moves. Has anyone ever tried it? What do you think about it?
  3. I called a friend. She didn't answer. Phew!
  4. This is my second blog post this week, thanks to b. I have a couple more in mind.
  5. I've decided to post my weight here, weekly, starting this Saturday. Hopefully, that will keep me in the gym and eating right.
  6. I researched and created a list of plays that I want to see in the next few months. I'm posting it below in case you're in Chicago and want to check something out. Also, if you know of something, send me suggestions.
PLAYLIST

"FROM THE MISSISSIPPI DELTA"
Written by Dr. ENDESHA IDA MAE HOLLAND
November 20 – January 11, 2009
Directed by AUDREY MORGAN
Living in a time in a world that would deny a woman her most basic rights did not deter Dr. Endesha Ida Mae Holland as she journeys through her pain and gains the strength to appreciate herself as not only a woman but as an individual. Her story is an inspiration to all.
Showtimes: Thursday, Friday, Saturday at 8:00 P.M. & Sunday at 3:00 P.M. & 7:00 P.M.
Ticket Prices: General Admission $30 Students: $15
Location: eta Creative Arts
7558 S South Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60619-264


“I STILL LOVE H.E.R.”
Produced by Wendell Tucker (WY Graduate)
January 8 – February 28, 2009
Theori Productions is proud to re-introduce its ground-breaking contribution to theatre,"I Still Love H.E.R. (A Tribute to HipHop)." "I Still Love H.E.R." takes viewers on an insightful tour down memory lane, while taking time to stop and see what conditions and events helped to create the cultural phenomena known as HipHop.
This sociological musical centers on Love 1, a revered Chicago on-air personality who is about to begin his final broadcast. In the midst of his farewell show, HipHop arrives to tell her story the way it really is. Through the dialogue that follows, Love 1 and his listeners are told the story of Hip-Hop through her own words. Social issues such as feminism, parenting, racism, capitalist media domination and violence in the HipHop community are examined throughout the show, with relevant HipHop classics as the backdrop. By the end of his broadcast Love 1 reconciles his love affair with his culture and realizes that he must "always take time to listen to the soundtrack of his life".
Showtimes: Thursday & Friday – 8:00 P.M. , Saturday - 3:00 P.M. & 8:00 P.M., Sunday - 3:00 P.M.
Ticket Prices: $10
Location: CCPA's "WestTown Studio Theater"
777 N Green St
(1 block west of Halsted, just off Chicago Avenue)
Chicago, IL 60622
Phone: (312) 733-6000


“STAGE BLACK”
Written by Lydia R. Diamond
Directed by Mignon McPherson Nance
January 16 – March 1, 2009
Today critically acclaimed and nationally produced playwright Lydia R. Diamond is known for The Bluest Eye, Stick Fly, Voyeurs de Venus, and the recent Harriet Jacobs. Back in 1998, MPAACT had the honor of producing her play The Inside.
In Stage Black a well-respected but under-produced African-American playwright, attempts to write the "perfect producible black play". As the writer attempts to script the black play that falls within the comfort zones of white and black audiences, her subconscious leaps to the fore and her characters rebel. The rest... well, you'll just have to see it to believe it.
Show Times: Thursdays and Fridays – 8:30pm, Saturdays – 7:30pm, Sunday – 3:30pm
Ticket Prices: $16
Location: The Greenhouse Theatre
2257 N. Lincoln Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614
BOX OFFICE: 773-40-GREEN (404-7336)
Love of Heritage and Tradition


"TALKING BONES"
Written by SHAY YOUNGBLOOD
January 29 – March 22, 2009
Directed by RUNAKO JAHI
With a desire to lead a normal life, Bay-Bay ignores the wisdom and spiritual yearnings of her steeped-in-African-tradition mother, Ruth, by refusing to be a vessel to connect with the ancestors. Ruth is ready to join the ancestors but who will take her place?
Showtimes: Thursday, Friday, Saturday at 8:00 P.M. & Sunday at 3:00 P.M. & 7:00 P.M.
Ticket Prices: General Admission $30 Students: $15
Location: eta Creative Arts
7558 S South Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60619-264


SAINT JAMES INFIRMARY
By: Brian Tucker
Directed by: Harry Lennix
Dates: March 19, 2009 – April 12, 2009
Previews: March 12–14
Featuring Ensemble Member: TaRon Patton
A bluesy noir that examines the soul-less inhabitants of a world dominated by gamblers, thieves, and women of the night. Borrowing from the mythic tales of dealing with the devil, the play follows what takes place when the purchaser of lost souls comes to collect.
Location: Center for the Performing Arts
777 N. Green
Box Office: (312) 733-6000


No comments: