Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Can't help but wonder...

what my silence says to them.

This period of reflection has caused me to think about two people to whom I haven't spoken in a while. One has been a very important person in my life. We have known each other for years and have seen each other through a number of changes. However, I felt that things weren't always as I felt they should be. I also realized that I needed time and space to come to terms with the relationship. I communicated this. We spoke a couple of times after this but that was over a year ago. The other person, I stopped speaking to more recently, without communicating any reason. As the holiday season approaches and as I have more time to devote to reflecting on these relationships, I have been thinking about reaching out to them. Finally. So, what's stopping me? I am still sorting out what I want a relationship with these two people to look like. I am still questioning whether I am able to maintain the type of boundaries needed to manage these relationships. Also, I'm now wondering what they must be thinking. If silence is in fact sound, what has my silence communicated to them? How will that silence affect their ability to hear my voice when I choose to use it?

While these are questions that I don't have the answers to, I can hope that they have remained the people that I know them to be and that they will be open, patient, and understanding. As I work to figure out how to rebuild and maintain a friendship with them, I hope that my silence does not/has not become too loud.

1 comment:

b.goody said...

I know I'm late and I may or may not have said this to you in person. But-
relationships are a two way street. The person you don't communicate with is also not making an effort to communicate with you. Now, that doesn't mean you shouldn't reach out. But please don't get hurt trying to maintain a friendship with someone who isn't interested. Love you bff...