Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Just Getting My Feet Wet

I just finished my practicum experience and by mid-June, God willing, I will have my degree. When I started this program, I felt like I knew it all. I fell in love with counseling in undergrad and volunteered there and at home. Over the last few months, I realized I don't know anything. That doesn't mean that I didn't have valuable experiences or that I haven't learned a lot in my program but nothing could have prepared me for this experience. My professors were serious when they said this is when you start to think you have no idea what you are doing and you're right. Then, you start to get it...

This quarter I have met some of the strongest and most resilient children I've ever seen. To those who don't know their stories, they are just some bad ass kids. To me they are resourceful survivors. They've made it through horrible situations that still haunt them in their sleep. I've gained the trust of some and others have yet to open up. I don't blame them. I too question whether I'm ready and prepared to help them adjust their load and strong enough not to try to carry it for them. These children challenged me in innumerable ways already. Their stories have made me question humanity but their strength has restored my faith. I'm more than ready to work harder than I ever have.

I'm usually glad for the quarter to end. We usually get a break from now until after the new year. However, I get no break this time. In fact starting on my birthday, I'll start going to my site 4-5 days per week until June instead of 2. I'll take on more clients or spend more time with the ones that I have. Do I need a break? Yes, but I'm excited about the time that I will spend with them. I'm glad to know that I can listen to them and sometimes that's all they need. I'm looking forward to helping them defy the odds and reach their goals. I'm ready to jump in head first but I'm glad I had time to get my feet wet.

1 comment:

middlesister said...

not much to say here but you are beyond a valuable resource. kids (hell, the world) NEEDS people like you. i see it everyday. you have impacted and will continue to have a profound impact on these survivors' lives.

stay up, stay strong for our survivors.

more than words,

lem