Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Tale of Two Countries

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.

Ok, so I've never read a A Tale of Two Cities, but last night I started reading We Are the Ones We Have Been Waiting For by Alice Walker. She opens the book with this reference. Then, this morning, (thanks to Kismet) I watched a clip of Keith Olbermann responding to the hatred and lies that are being spewed by the Republican Party in the closing days of this campaign. He referred to Sarah Palin's comments to "real" America. Given these two perspectives, in addition to my own hopes and fears of the what will happen over and after the next two weeks. I also feel like it is the best of times and the worst of times.

I think it is pretty clear to those who will read this that it is the best of times. I remember my being told as a child that I could be President of the United States, if I so chose. Today, we are in an historical moment. A black man, for the first time in history, has more than a real chance of making it to the White House. What, perhaps is more important is his ability to inspire and catalyze generations to act after years of passivity and disappointment. Bearing witness to this momentous occasion lets me know that it is all the more possible that my daughters will, in fact, be able to be the President of the United States.

However, according to Governor Palin, I, not to mention my friends, family members and millions of Americans, are not a part of the "real" America. The "real" America is not waiting and working to celebrate the election of the first black President. They are waiting in the wings, wallowing in their own ignorance and regurgitating the lies that have been passed down through generations. With the words that these "real" Americans shout in public, it makes me cringe to think of what they must be saying and doing in private. This "real" America has found it's way of into my home and into my deepest fears. So, despite my hope and happiness, it is also the worst of times...

Regardless of the outcome of the election, we will be left with two Americas...

No comments: